Cathrine Crump: The Small And Surprisingly Dangerous Detail The Police Track About You

 There is a piece of information that has stuck with me that my father mentioned to me once.  He mentioned how he liked the safety of my Jeep and how I wouldn't be tracked through any kind of technology.  The Jeep is a 2002 Wrangler with an old beat-up radio unable to be traced because of its lack of advanced technology.  My dad mentioned that he never wanted my family to sell the Jeep for that exact reason.  My dad came from a military background that taught him what happens behind closed doors with tracking personnel.  Therefore he knew I would be safe in the Jeep.  

Catherine Crump: The small and surprisingly dangerous detail the police  track about you | TED Talk

This story about my dad reminded me of a Ted Talk I watched from Cathrine Crump explaining how our every step is tracked through the police's secret equipment. That secret equipment is a license tracking device.  "If you drive your car around the United States, it can reveal if you go to a therapist, attend Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.  If you go to church, or if you don't go to church.  And when that information about you is combined with the same information about everyone else, the government can gain a detailed portrait of how private citizens interact" (Crump, 2014). 

The police department captures where a person is going and who they are with.  By using the license plate readers there are hundreds of photos of everyone going on about their daily life.  To me, this is a huge violation of personal space and spying.  As a private individual with no criminal record or any reason to be tracked, I think this is very wrong. Another problem with this is the cost of storing this data and the fact that it has plummeted yet they're keeping on to the photos just in case it's necessary for later.  The police are keeping all the photos in one database.  Also, another technology that the U.S is using to track people is through cell towers.  This is crazy to me because most people these days are always carrying a phone with themselves Crump, 2014). 

There is one thing mentioned in the Ted Talk as a solution to these problems and it involves the government, shocker.  The Government should be regulated by the City Councils to enforce a law to dispose of data tracked of innocent people while still keeping the technology for its ligament usage.  Not to spy on regular people but criminal acts (Crump, 2014). 

http://medlawlit.blogspot.com

https://www.ted.com/talks/catherine_crump_the_small_and_surprisingly_dangerous_detail_the_police_track_about_you

Comments

Popular Posts